Sunday, November 11, 2007

His Truth in Our Hearts

In my small group, we are reading the book You're God Is Too Safe. It's nothing what I expected, which has been great. One of the chapters we read was titled Saint Pride. The chapter was about pride and humility, but I also picked up something in this chapter that has just stuck with me.

Holiness is TRUTH in the inner parts.

Ok, let me explain how the author (Mark Buchanan) went from pride to truth in the inner parts. Basically he says that one of the manifestations of pride is self-deceit. But we are so "sophisticated" that we talk ourselves into believing whatever we want. Or ignoring whatever we want. He uses David-the man after God's own heart- as an example.

This is right after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba, and then trying to fix it himself, he had her husband killed. I'm just going to quote Buchanan because I love the way he writes this part. "But for a year, David lived a self-imposed exile in a place far from the will of God. He was there because he coudn't be honest with himself. It was a refugee camp outside the presence of God. That's pride's land."

Ok, so I can definitely relate to David on some level here. I hid myself from the world for an entire year. This happened to me last year. Pride-->self-deceit was a serious factor in my life last year. It grabbed hold of my mind and twisted it. It told me I didn't need people or a community. It told me to just blame everyone else. It told me that I had a right to feel sorry for myself. It convinced me to build up my own little walls and stay behind them. BUT-
Praise the Lord!!! He broke down those walls. I have victory in Him.

But let me finish my point here. So the prophet Nathan confronts David after a year. David repents and this is where he writes Psalm 51. The whole chapter is great, but verse 6 says "Behold, You desire truth in the inner being; make me therefore to know wisdom in my inmost heart."

If I just sit and let that resonate- HIS TRUTH in my inmost part. In my heart, where I fall so short so many times every single day. His Truth can move in my heart. It can wash over it. It can change it. HIS TRUTH- that He died for me and I am covered in his blood- in the places that no one else can see but Him. Man, that is amazing. That is life changing.

Surely You desire TRUTH in the inner parts

Just let that phrase stick with you for a little while and see what it can mean for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home