Monday, August 13, 2007

Roots and Wings

I was watching the movie Sweet Home Alabama last night. I have seen this movie a number of times but I caught a part of conversation I never really understood before. It's when they are in the dog cemetery and she says that she loves New York, but she comes back home and Alabama fits too. Ok, so first I must say that I am from Alabama and as redneck and crazy everyone thinks Alabama is, it actually is quite a lovely place with all it's southern charm. Anyway, a side note. So she says this and then he says "You can't have roots and wings." I started thinking about that. I don't have any wonderful insight to offer here, I just thought it was something interesting to consider. I am at a point in life I guess you could say where I have the opportunity to choose: Roots or Wings. But do you think you can have both? I like to think you can. Roots are important. It's what makes you who you are. It's where you come from. Family and old friends are priceless. But Wings. Wings are important too. I see wings as dreams. I like to dream big. I like to think I can make a difference. I like to think I can change the world. Maybe I'm young and naive. But maybe not. I guess when I am old and gray I can answer the question: What did you choose, Roots or Wings? I'm hoping that my answer will be both.

2 Comments:

Blogger Corie said...

I don't remember this from the movie.. glad you posted it. It is an interesting question. My first instinct was "roots". I know the Bible talks about our roots growing strong and deep in Him. That's why I would say my choice is roots.
(although wings would be really great too!)

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got home from the gym and my wife was watching this scene when I walked in. It is a great quote, and it is true to an extent. Wings allow you to find a place where you can grow new roots (leave, cleave and achieve). Whether that's across town or across the world is entirely up to you. I remember my childhood and hometown fondly, but I wouldn't trade that for the roots I'm now growing 1000 miles away. No matter where you go, don't lose track of the people you care about and no matter where you are, care about the people you're with.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home