Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9.11.

I wasn't going to write anything today, and I really should be studying, but I turned on the news this morning and I was so incredibly moved by what I saw that I changed my mind and decided to share a bit of my heart for this country. I don't know if any of you saw it, but this morning at Ground Zero they had a ceremony where they were reading out all the names of those lost 6 years ago today. There were so many people, all in black or gray. Brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, husbands and wives. All who had lost a loved one that tragic Tuesday. And it was raining there this morning. Not torrential rain or anything, but it was just drizzling, as if the heavens were mourning along with everyone else. After watching a minute or two of this I just started to cry. You forget how horrific that day was. How much it changed our lives. I was in the 10th grade when it happened and I remember for the first time ever in my life, I went to sleep afraid of what might happen next. Of course now I refuse to be afraid. I refuse to give those awful terrorists the pleasure of thinking that they won. And it makes me sick to my stomach that they release videos every year on this day. But that's not my point. My point is one that they made this morning on tv. After that day, America was united. We all stood together, we were all on the same page. And now, today, we are so far from that. Our country is literally divided right down the middle. And I know that I'm young. And it's so easy to criticize, and what I am actually doing to make a difference, but I'm just writing what's on my heart. In high school my history teacher told us this quote: "America is great because America is good. When America is no longer good, she will no longer be great." I'm so scared that we are losing what makes this country good. I think this is a serious problem that my generation must embrace and think through. We must chose to care instead of chosing to be apathetic like so many people I know that are my age. We must stand up for what we believe in. We must search our hearts and fight for the good. We must find a way to work together so we can make the world a better place. Above all, we must find a way back to the words of our Founding Fathers: one Nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home